photo of UNH international students

International Students

The UNH Graduate School welcomes your interest in our many outstanding master’s and doctoral degree programs. The international community at UNH is a close-knit and valued part of campus life. Many international alumni of the University are making significant contributions in science, technology, and social science.

International Applicants


To protect yourself from wasting time and money applying to a program at the University which cannot receive you -- because we do not offer the course you desire, because the enrollment is already full, because deadline for applications has passed, or because your academic preparation, financial resources or other qualifications are not suitable for the program of study you have indicated -- we strongly recommend all prospective international students, living outside of the United States, submit the UNH Graduate School Preapplication form. If you are currently living in the United States (on a H1B visa, etc.), then you do not need to submit a Preapplication.

Once the department has made a decision about your preapplication you will be notified by email. Programs generally respond to preapplications within three weeks. Approval of a preapplication is not a guarantee of getting accepted into the program; rather, it only indicates that you have a fair chance of getting admitted and therefore it might be worth your time and money to apply as a full applicant.

Full Application

International applications most commonly appy for the Fall semester but if you are interested in applying for the spring or summer check with the department to see if that is an option. To give yourself plenty of time to apply, and submit all required documents, be sure to review your programs deadlines for submitting. No decision can be made about your application until it is complete and has been received by the Graduate School.

International applicants must hold a 4-year baccalaureate degree or its equivalent as a precondition for applying to any of our graduate programs. In some cases, you will also need a master’s degree or its equivalent. For complete details on requirements view our programs of study page.

International Students

Admitted Students

If you are admitted, the Office of International Students and Scholars will provide you with the information and forms necessary to obtain your student visa. Do not send financial documents, statements or passport copies with your application materials.

New Students

New international students should visit the UNH Global website for International Students so they can get information on new student orientations and other information important to new international students. Please plan on arriving prior to the start of the semester in time to participate in International Student Orientation and, if on an assistantship or fellowship, in time to participate in the mandatory Graduate Assistant Orientation.

New international students who are unable to arrive for either of these orientations due to issues with immigration, may with the prior approval of the Office of International Students and Scholars and the Graduate School arrive late. Under no circumstances may a new student arrive later than the last day to register for that term, usually the third Friday of classes.

All Students

All international students are responsible for following all Graduate School registration policies. In addition all international students on F-1 and J-1 visas are required to register full time each semester of the academic year until the completion of their programs. There are no registration requirements during the summer. Plesae see below for policies related to "special" registrations:

  • GRAD 800: permissible only for Master’s students who have completed all requirements for the degree and will be engaged in full-time OPT (immigration regulations do not require enrollment in a full course of study in this case) and both employment and residence will be off-campus.
  • GRAD 900: appropriate for Master’s level students who have completed coursework and will be engaged in full-time OPT, and will be employed on campus or living in UNH residential facilities.
  • Doctoral Research (999): Required of all doctoral students at candidacy.
  • Fee Waivers: Students enrolled in doctoral research (999), who have left the immediate geographic area while completing their doctoral research may petition for a waiver of the mandatory fees.

Masters’ students in their final term who are not on assistantships, may register for less than 9 credits, but no less than 5 credits with approval of the Office of International Students and Scholars, prior to the first day of classes of the final term. Students must file their intent-to-graduate with the Graduate School prior to, or concurrent with, their request to register for a reduced load.

Visas and Eligibility for Financial Assistance

Students who have been offered an assistantship, but do not have an eligible visa status to allow them to begin their assistantship duties at the beginning of the semester, have until the last day to register without having their degree status discontinued to have their visa status resolved in order to hold an assistantship for that semester. The start date for the assistantship would be the date allowed by the visa status and the stipend would be pro-rated. The appropriate tuition waiver associated with the assistantship would be valid and not prorated.

Students who have not resolved their visa status by the last day to register without having their degree status discontinued would not be eligible to hold an assistantship. Such students may be eligible to hold a non-status appointment during the semester in question once their visa status is resolved. In such cases, the stipend would be prorated. Programs could award scholarships to cover the tuition cost to such students. Under no circumstance should students who do not have a visa that make them eligible to work begin any assistantship related duties.