Biological Sciences: Marine Biology - MS
This degree is intended for students interested in marine and estuarine ecosystems and the organisms associated with them at all levels of inquiry. UNH has a long history of excellence in the field of Marine Biology and Marine Science, and as a result of this stature, a new School of Marine Sciences and Ocean Engineering has been established.
Applying to graduate school has never been easier! To complete your application, you will need:
- $65 application fee (pay online)
- Prior college transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- GRE test scores
- Personal Statement/Essay Questions
Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.
Deadlines: Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:
- Fall: January 15 (for funding); August 1 (final)
- Spring: N/A
- Summer: N/A
- Special: N/A
New England Regional: VT
Accelerated Masters Eligible: No
Supplemental Materials: The Details
If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. However, if you attended GSC, Keene or Plymouth, then you must request and submit original transcripts from those institutions.
If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:
- Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to email@example.com. Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
- Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.
Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
After you have submitted your online application and are assigned an UNH ID, visit our online Letter of Recommendation Request Form for instructions and to request letters from your chosen referees. Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.
Test Scores: GRE Required
GRE required. Request official test scores to be sent directly to the Graduate School by the testing service. Test scores more than five years old are not acceptable. Student copies and photo copies of scores are not considered official. Our CEEB code is 3918.
For general information about test scores required for admission into our programs please visit our Test Scores webpage.
Personal Statement/Essay Questions:
Prepare a brief but careful statement regarding: 1) reasons you wish to do graduate work in this field, including your immediate and long-range objectives, and 2) your specific research or professional interest and experiences in this field.
Once you have completed your statement, you can submit it:
- Electronically, as part of the online application process (strongly recommended)
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail a hard copy directly to our office (address at bottom of page)
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early if they wish to be considered for financial and priority consideration. All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.
Additional Details for International Applicants
Prospective international students are strongly encouraged to go through our international pre-application process and are required to submit TOEFL (or equivalent) examination scores. Please note that TOEFL scores may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.