English - MST
The Master of Science for Teachers is a degree designed specifically for practicing English teachers who want to deepen their knowledge of literature and develop their own skills in reading and writing. This program is based on the belief that pedagogy emerges out of firsthand experience in the processes of reading and writing.
Applying to graduate school has never been easier! To complete your application, you will need:
- $65 application fee (pay online)
- Prior college transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Personal Statement/Essay Questions
- Additional Department Requirements
Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.
Deadlines: Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:
- Fall: January 15 (for funding); July 1 (final)
- Spring: October 15 (for funding); December 1 (final)
- Summer: April 1 (Admission only)
- Special: N/A
New England Regional: No
Accelerated Masters Eligible: Yes
Supplemental Materials: The Details
If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. However, if you attended GSC, Keene or Plymouth, then you must request and submit original transcripts from those institutions.
If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:
- Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
- Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.
Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
After you have submitted your online application and are assigned an UNH ID, visit our online Letter of Recommendation Request Form for instructions and to request letters from your chosen referees. Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.
Personal Statement/Essay Questions:
Prepare a brief but careful statement regarding: 1) reasons you wish to do graduate work in this field, including your immediate and long-range objectives, and 2) your specific research or professional interest and experiences in this field.
Once you have completed your statement, you can submit it:
- Electronically, as part of the online application process (strongly recommended)
- Via email to email@example.com
- Mail a hard copy directly to our office (address at bottom of page)
Additional Department Requirements:
Applicants are to submit at least two different pieces of writing--one to demonstrate competence in analytical writing, i.e. a research paper, a literary analysis paper, an extended book review; the other piece should demonstrate creative writing ability, i.e. a chapter in a novel, a short story, or a personal essay (recounting or reflecting on a personal experience). A paper previously submitted for a class is acceptable. The samples could total between fifteen and thirty pages.
This program is specifically for practicing English Teachers. All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.
Additional Details for International Applicants
Prospective international students are strongly encouraged to go through our international pre-application process and are required to submit TOEFL (or equivalent) examination scores. Please note that TOEFL scores may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.