UNH logo
   Graduate School - Forms Server

Public Policy, Law Dual Degree - MPP/JD

The Carsey School of Public Policy, in conjunction with the UNH Law School, offers a dual degree MPP/JD program for students seeking the benefits of both degrees. This dual degree program is designed to train students who wish to effectively combine legal issues and skills into the realm of public policy. Students will gain a deep understanding of how legal and policy issues relate and how to use this understanding to have an impact and make a difference in the complex contemporary world.

Students wishing to pursue the MPP/JD dual degree program must apply and be accepted separately into each of the two degree programs. Students will use the regular on-line admission processes of the UNH Graduate School and School of Law for each degree program and they will fulfill all the necessary application requirements, including such items as undergraduate institution coursework and GPA, LSAT (required) and GRE (waived with completed LSAT) scores, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and resume indicating awards and scholarships and professional experience.

The MPP/JD program welcomes applicants from many disciplinary backgrounds, but all applicants must possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. Applicants may be asked to interview either in person or by conference call with the program director and/or the graduate program coordinator. The MPP/JD Dual Degree program admits students for the Fall Term only. JD students must apply before or during their first year of Law School in order to be eligible.

UNH Law requires 85 credits to obtain the JD degree and the Carsey School requires 40 credits to obtain the MPP degree. UNH Law will accept a maximum of 12 credits for transfer into the JD program from successfully completed, approved MPP courses. The Carsey School will accept 9 elective credits for transfer into the MPP program from successfully completed, approved JD courses.

Application Information

photo of application to-do checklist
photo of calendar with pencil circling date

Applying to graduate school has never been easier! To complete your application, you will need:

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.

Deadlines: Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: March 15 (for Carsey School Scholarship); July 1 (preferred); August 15 (final)
  • Spring: December 15
  • Summer: April 15
  • Special: N/A

Campus: JD offered in Concord and MPP offered in Durham

New England Regional: No

Accelerated Masters Eligible: Yes

Supplemental Materials: The Details


If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. However, if you attended GSC, Keene or Plymouth, then you must request and submit original transcripts from those institutions.

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to grad.school@unh.edu. Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

Test Scores: LSAT Required

GRE test scores are normally required but applicants to the dual degree program should submit their LSAT scores (have them sent from the Law School) in lieu of the GRE.

For general information about test scores required for admission into our programs please visit our Test Scores webpage.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions:

This should be a clear, concise statement of the applicant’s relevant past experiences, including academics, research, and/or work experience. The statement should also include an expression of interests and an explanation of the student’s goals in pursuing a master's degree.

Statements must be included with your submitted application.

Additional Department Requirements:

In addition to the three letters of recommendation a complete application will include a statement of support from UNH Law. Current UNH Law students must request a statement of support from Lauren Berger, the UNH Law Assistant Dean for Students. Ask to have the letter sent directly to you as you will need to provide it when you submit your application. For new law students you may provide a copy of your admit offer letter in lieu of a formal statement of support.

Important Notes:

Applicants may be asked to interview either in person or by conference call with the program director and/or the graduate program coordinator. Applicants are highly encouraged to contact the MPP program office for information on applying. Please visit the UNH School of Law Dual Degree webpage for MPP/JD Dual Degree Guidelines. Admission to the JD/MPP program requires pre-stipulation of a B (3.0) grade point average at the end of the first JD year.

A current resume is not required but highly recommended. All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.

Additional Details for International Applicants

All prospective international students are strongly recommended to submit a pre-application on the graduate school website prior to applying to the program, please see the International Applicants Instructions page for additional requirements. TOEFL scores are required if English is not your first language.