Test Scores (CEEB CODE: 003918)
Many of the UNH Graduate programs require applicants to submit GRE, GMAT, or other examination scores. For a list of programs and all test score requirements visit our Programs of Study page. International students are required to submit TOEFL scores. Test score waiver requests (see below) are approved by the admitting department and the Graduate School. Applicants required to submit test scores may find additional information, available exam dates, and registration details by visiting the official website (listed on the left menu).
TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language
Non-native English speaking International applicants are required to submit TOEFL examination scores. Demonstration of a sufficient level of English Language proficiency is a prerequisite for admission. Submitted scores that fall below our minimum requirement will be considered unacceptable and grounds for denying admission. Minimum score requirements are as follows:
- TOEFL (Paper Based): 550
- TOEFL (Computer Based): 213
- TOEFL (Internet Based): 80
- TOEIC* (Test of English for International Communication)
- IELTS* (International English Language Testing System): 6.5
- Institutional Testing Program (ITP) is NOT an accepted TOEFL score by UNH Graduate School
*The IELTS and TOEIC may be accepted on a case-by-case basis; please contact the Graduate School directly for more information.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
The University also offers an English as a Second Language (ESL) Program through the ESL Institute each summer as well as during the academic year. The institute is designed for students who wish to develop their English language skills and learn more about American culture and/or prepare for study at an American university.
Test Score Waivers
Some departments allow waivers of their test score requirements. In those cases applicants may request a full or temporary waiver of test scores based on previous course work, previous graduate degree in related area, work experience, or special circumstances. If you would like to request a test score waiver, submit an email directly to the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information in your waiver request; requests that do not include all of this information will not be considered:
- First and last name
- 9-digit UNH student ID. If you have already submitted an online application to the Graduate School, you will have been issued a student ID. If you have not yet completed/submitted your online application, please include your date of birth (MM/dd/YYYY).
- Program/degree to which you are applying
- Semester to which you are applying
- Qualifications/reasons why you believe your waiver request should be granted
Once a request is received, the Graduate School will forward it to the appropriate department. All waiver requests require the approval of both the department and the Graduate School. When a decision is reached regarding the waiver request, the applicant's admissions record and checklist will be updated and can be viewed online by the applicant when checking their application status.
*NOTE: Applicants who are requesting a waiver of the GMAT must also complete the Paul College GMAT Waiver Request form and submit the form as instructed in the document.