UNH logo
photo of UNH students at graduation


Graduation and Commencement

The University of New Hampshire holds an annual commencement ceremony each May. Doctoral, Master’s, and Ed.S students who will complete their degree requirements in May or earned their degrees the previous September or December are invited to participate in the May Ceremony. In addition, Master’s and Ed. S. students who expect to complete their degree the following September are also eligible to participate in commencement as long as they have an intent to graduate on file for September. Doctoral students are only eligible to attend commencement if they are receiving their degree in May or received their degree during the previous two semester. Students who file their intent to graduate for May or September before the final filing deadline for May will be listed in the commencement book.

Graduate School Manchester Commencement

If you are in a graduate program at the University of New Hampshire at Manchester, you have the choice of participating in either the UNH Manchester commencement or the UNH Durham commencement.  Please be sure to indicate to the GSMC staff what your plans are for graduation by contacting the UNH Graduate School Manchester campus.

Are You Ready To Graduate?

All students who are nearing the completion of their degree or certificate program, either as a primary or secondary program, need to file an online intent to graduate by the deadline published on the graduate school calendar. If you are unable to file your intent online, please contact the Graduate School so we can review your records and provide assistance. Diplomas are mailed by the Registrar's office roughly 8-12 weeks from the day of graduation.

The 1, 2, 3's of Filing an Intent to Graduate

1 - When To File

The intent to graduate is the only signal to the Graduate School that you have finished your degree requirements and are ready to officially earn your degree. To determine when you should file your intent, please contact your department to review your degree requirements. The intent to graduate should be filed for the semester that you will be completed with your degree requirements. This semester may or may not correspond with the May ceremony. Students who do not file an 'Intent to Graduate' will not earn their degree. Please see the official Graduate School calendar for filing deadlines.


2 - How To File

  • Login to your MyUNH account
  • Select the "Student" Tab.
  • Select Student Records -> Graduation -> Apply to Graduate.
  • Select the most current term from the list and click Submit.
  • Select the program that you are filing an intent for and hit Continue. If you are graduating from more than one program you will need to file a separate intent for each program.
    • If you receive a "No curricula available" error then please use the View Application to Graduate option to see if your intent has already been filed. If not, or if you need to change your intent, please contact the Graduate School.
  • Select your intended graduation semester. Please note that this is the date that you plan to have your degree requirements 100% complete.
  • If applicable, select if you plan to attend the May ceremony. Please note that the Registrar’s Office uses this to get a rough count. If you plan to attend you will still need to officially register to do so starting roughly one month from the commencement date. Please be sure to view the attendance eligibility requirements before registering.
  • On the subsequent pages, please verify your diploma name (for changes, contact the Registrar's Office directly), contact email, and diploma mailing address.
  • Please be sure to save or print the final confirmation screen for your records. No other confirmation will be sent.
  • You can verify your intent was filed by using the View Application to Graduate option.


3 - Intent Checklist

  • If completing a thesis or dissertation, you may submit a copy to our office for review of formatting requirements up to 2 weeks before final submission is due. Remember to review the thesis and dissertation checklist before submitting final copies.
  • Verify with your advisor and department that you have met all degree requirements to graduate.
  • File your intent to graduate by the published deadline.
  • Verify your account balance is paid in full; you will not be issued a diploma until your account is clear.

How to Change Your Intent

Once you submit your intent to graduate online you will NOT be able to change it until our office has reset it. If you need to change your intent to graduate date please email our office at grad.school@unh.edu with the following information:

  • Full Name
  • Your UNH ID or Date of Birth (to help verify your identity)
  • Degree Program

Once we get your email we will reset your account and notify you so you can resubmit the new intent data.  Note that we do NOT submit the intent for you. You can also call us at 603-862-3004 and ask to have your intent reset over the phone.

Change of Name for Diploma Printing

If your name is not displayed the way you would like to have it appear on your diploma, please email the Registrar's Office.  In the email, include your complete name, last 4 digits of your student ID, the semester you plan on graduating, the name of your program, and how you would like your name to appear on your diploma.  Also, be sure to indicate the reason for your email in the subject line, i.e. "Change of name for Diploma printing".