Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate Financial Aid
On the lawn of UNH T-Hall

The University offers a variety financial aid programs to graduate students, such as graduate appointments, scholarships and fellowships, awards, federal financial aid and veteran's benefits.

graduate student and faculty member


Graduate Assistantships, Fellowships and other Appointments

Generally, the graduate application for admission with its required supporting documents serves as the application for new graduate students for the scholarship and assistantship programs available. However, some departments have separate applications. Students are advised to contact individual departments for more information on any specific aid forms. Appointments are normally for one academic year and may be renewed provided that funds are available and that the student's academic and professional performance is satisfactory. For more information concerning all aspects of assistantships/appointments, such as dates of appointment, supplemental policy, etc., see the Graduate Appointments section of our catalog.


Information on graduate stipends is located in our online catalog, under the graduate appointments section.

Graduate Assistant Orientation

The graduate assistant orientation is a mandatory program for all newly appointed graduate assistants and fellows and is held every fall and spring semester. For details on the next orientation, and all associated documents and information you need, visit the graduate assistant orientation page.

Federal Financial Aid

To apply for Federal Financial Aid you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The UNH priority deadline for applying for financial aid is March 1. This is the date by which the FAFSA Application must be received by the Federal processor. However, students applying after March 1st will still be considered for the Federal Direct Loan, which is not subject to the priority deadline. Students filing FAFSA after the priority deadline, however, will not be considered for federal work study; those interested in federal work study opportunities must file their FAFSA prior to the March 1st deadline.

Basic Eligibility Requirements

  • Attend classes at least half-time (5 or more credits per semester)
  • Enrollment in a degree program
  • Documentation of United States citizenship or eligible non-citizen status
  • Must maintain satisfactory academic progress (see "Conditions of Award")

Once you've been admitted you can check the status of your UNH Federal aid request online using your MyUNH account.

Paul College MBA Graduate student


Gainful Employment Program

Federal gainful employment regulations are provided for each program at the University of New Hampshire for which it's required. This meets the gainful employment disclosure requirements as stipulated by regulations issued in October 2009 and subsequently updated in 2011. At public and private not-for-profit institutions, gainful employment programs are stand-alone Title IV-eligible certificate programs.

    Employment Resources

    Additional information is available at the US Department of Education: Federal Student Aid Gainful Employment website. Below are a list of eligible certificate programs at UNH.

    • Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
    • Assistive Technology
    • Family Nurse Practitioner
    • Industrial Statistics
    • Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)

      Graduate Aid

      Travel Grants

      The Graduate School awards travel grants to students presenting their research and scholarship at professional meetings or conferences. Travel grants are also available to students who are attending professional development workshops and seminars that will enhance their research agendas. No more than two travel grants per academic year (fall to summer) can be awarded to each individual, who must be a current graduate student at the time of the application and travel. Travel grants do not exceed $200 per student per conference/meeting, or $400 per student per academic year. Students seeking a travel grant must make a request for one prior to the date of their conference or meeting. Students receiving a travel grant are expected to participate in the annual Graduate Research Conference, held each spring.

      Travel Grant Request Form

      UNH Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards

      The Graduate School awards a number of scholarships and fellowships to students every year. We also offer three special awards each year: the Faculty Mentor award, the Student Research, Scholarship and Creativity award and the Student Teaching award.

      External Scholarships and Fellowships

      The UNH Fellowships Office also provides a list of external scholarships, fellowships and other funding opportunities.

      Fellowships, Funding, & Awards Available to UNH Graduate Students

      The Graduate School offers a variety of fellowships and awards to graduate students each academic year, detailed below. For a comprehensive list of scholarships available to UNH graduate students, please view our attached document.

      Fulbright and Government Employees

      Graduate students funded on Fulbright's (i.e., IIE, LASPAU, AMIDEAST) are to be charged in-state tuition (such students would be awarded an out of state tuition scholarship). The same policy applies to government employees (generally NOAA employees) who are reassigned to UNH as part of their work assignment to pursue a degree. In each case, the student's RC unit will cover the cost of the out-of-state tuition aid.

      External Resources