Thank you for considering the University of New Hampshire Graduate School for the next stage in your education, career and life.
The Graduate School is composed of intelligent, thoughtful and creative people from all over the globe. And while each of us comes from a different background and circumstance, what unites us here is our passion to help others, improve our environment, learn about other creatures and organisms and leave our world in a better place than we found it.
If this describes you, you’d fit right in at the UNH Graduate School.
We value and encourage in interdisciplinary studies, studies that lead to discovery and innovation beyond an outdated or no longer useful status quo. It’s the synergy of an outstanding faculty working with excellent students that creates an exciting environment for discovery. We seek to support healthy, satisfying ways to grow, not only as students, but as individuals, too. Each person is a significant and vital part of the Grad School community; we care and want to know about your work and your experience. Here, great ideas, creative contributions and scientific breakthroughs happen often because the students who choose to come to UNH are curious, intelligent, life-long learners who work together to find new solutions and approaches that are extraordinary.
Are you ready to step up to the next level of growth and achievement?
Whether your studies bring you to our main campus in Durham, our UNH Manchester campus in the historic mill yard of Manchester in central New Hampshire, to our online courses or to UNH Law School, there’s no better way to reach your full potential than here at the University of New Hampshire.
On behalf of all of us at the UNH Graduate School, thank you. I invite you to explore our campus, programs, student profiles, faculty scholarship, and ground-breaking research. We look forward to helping you move forward. Let me know how we can .
Interim Dean, The Graduate School
Blueprint for the Future, UNH in 2020 Strategic Plan
The mission of the Graduate School is to provide innovative, responsive and accessible master’s, doctoral and certificate programs of the highest quality in line with the university’s “Blueprint for the Future, UNH in 2020." Graduate programs foster a close interdependence between research and classroom teaching and enhance the undergraduate experience at the university. The graduate faculty and students work together to creatively generate and communicate new knowledge, solutions and insights. The Graduate School is a source of intellectual capital for the University, the region and the nation.
The Graduate School distinguishes UNH as a premier research university. Master’s and doctoral programs, in both research and professional areas, further enhance the university’s public land-grant, sea-grant and space-grant mission, which challenges us to find new solutions and generate disruptive ideas. The Graduate School provides leadership to support the scholarly and creative efforts of the faculty and students, advances the principles of ethical conduct of research and scholarship, articulates and champions an institutional perspective on graduate education, promotes interdisciplinary scholarship and ensures that its graduates are prepared to become leaders in the 21st century.
In order to accomplish this vision, the Graduate School works to:
- Increase the visibility of graduate education on the campus, in the state, the nation and the world.
- Maintain a strong relationship between research and professional education to best align the academic and research programs of the University for the future.
- Enhance and support diversity and inclusion for our students and faculty.
- Provide competitive compensation packages for our graduate assistants.
- Increase the support for graduate students through competitive fellowships and scholarships, professional development programs and community activities.
- Maintain and grow Ph.D. enrollment and graduation rates at levels appropriate to the University’s position as a high research activity institution.
- Ensure that all graduate programs are of the highest quality through a sustained process of program review.
- Support and encourage the development of new graduate programs that build on the strengths of our faculty.
- Foster the development of international and business collaborations and dual degree programs as appropriate.
- Support the development of program delivery models, including on-line and hybrid learning opportunities to further enhance our graduate programs to meet the changing nature of today’s students and world.
- Develop high quality academic and research programs with the UNH School of Law.
The Graduate School is an essential partner and valuable resource to the campus. Success is measured by the effectiveness of the Graduate School and Dean’s advocacy for graduate education through collaborative efforts with the college deans, the research office, the Graduate Council, the Graduate Student Senate, Graduate Coordinators, graduate faculty and program staff at UNH.