Academic Deadlines and Dates
Graduation and Commencement
Applying to Graduate and Commencement are independent activities. The Office of the Registrar processes your application to graduate and certifies completion of degree requirements. University Ceremonies and Events organizes the annual commencement ceremony in May. Please see the Registrar's Graduation page for important deadlines and more information about graduation requirements. For specific information about Durham Commencement activities, including ordering caps and gowns, dates and deadlines, etc., please see the UNH Commencement page. For information specific to UNH Manchester, please see the UNH Manchester Commencement page.
Are You Ready To Graduate?
All students nearing the completion of their degree or certificate program, either as a primary or secondary program, need to file an online intent to graduate by the deadline published on the graduate school calendar. If you are unable to file your intent online, please contact the Graduate School so we can review your records and provide assistance. Diplomas are mailed by the Registrar's office roughly 8-12 weeks from the official graduation date.
Please, see the '1, 2, 3's of Filing an Intent to Graduate' below.
UNH holds an annual commencement ceremony each May. Master's and Ed.S. students who meet the participation eligibility requirements should register to attend the ceremony through the UNH Durham Commencement website. Doctoral students who meet the participation eligibility requirements will receive an invitation to register from the Graduate School in the spring.
UNH-Manchester Graduate School Commencement
If you are in a graduate program at the University of New Hampshire at Manchester, you have the choice of participating in either the UNH-Manchester commencement or the UNH Durham commencement. Please be sure to inform GSMC staff on your commencement attendance intention by contacting the UNH Graduate School Manchester.
Eligibility to Participate in the May Ceremony
Master's/Ed.S. students who will complete their degree requirements in May or earned their degrees the previous September or December are invited to participate in the May ceremony. In addition, Master’s/Ed.S. students who expect to complete their degree the following September are also eligible to participate in the May Commencement Ceremony as long as they have an intent to graduate on file for September. Students who file their intent to graduate for May or September before the final filing deadline for May will be listed in the commencement book.
Doctoral students are only eligible to attend commencement if they're receiving their degree in May or received their degree during the previous two semesters. Doctoral students who expect to graduate in May must have completed all requirements for the degree by the published deadlines in order to participate in Commencement ceremonies. Only those candidates who have completed their program are listed in the Commencement program.
Special instructions regarding the commencement hooding ceremony will be sent to all doctoral students and their sponsors by the Graduate School each spring.
The 1, 2, 3's of Filing an Intent to Graduate
Filing an Intent to Graduate is the only way the Graduate School will know that you've finished your degree requirements and are ready to be awarded the degree. To determine when you should file your intent, please contact your department to review your degree requirements. The Intent to Graduate should be filed for the semester in which you'll complete your degree requirements, which may or may not correspond with the May ceremony. Students who do not file an Intent to Graduate will not have their degree awarded. Please see the official Graduate School calendar for filing deadlines.
Filing your Intent to Graduate takes a number of steps:
- Login to your MyUNH account.
- Select the "Student" Tab.
- Select Student Records -> Graduation -> Apply to Graduate.
- Select the most current term from the list and click Submit.
- Select the program that you are filing the Intent for and hit Continue. If you are earning more than one degree (e.g. MS and Certificate) you will need to file a separate Intent for each one.
- If you receive a "No curricula available" error, use the View Application to Graduate option to see if your Intent has already been filed. If not, or if you need to change your Intent, please contact the Graduate School.
- Select your intended graduation semester (Spring (May), Summer (September), Fall (December)). This is the date you expect to have all of your degree requirements completed.
- If applicable, select if you plan to attend the May ceremony. Please note that the Registrar’s Office uses this to get a rough head count. If you plan to attend, you'll still need to officially register to do so. Please review the attendance eligibility requirements before registering.
- On the subsequent questions, please verify your diploma name (for changes, contact the Registrar's Office directly), contact email, and diploma mailing address.
- Save or print the final confirmation screen for your records. No other confirmation will be sent.
- You can verify that your Intent was filed by using the View Application to Graduate option.
- If completing a thesis or dissertation, you may submit a copy to our office for review of formatting requirements up to 2 weeks before final submission is due. Remember to review the thesis and dissertation checklist before submitting the final document.
- Verify with your advisor and department that you've met all degree requirements to graduate.
- File your Intent to Graduate by the published deadline.
- Verify your account balance is paid in full. You will not be issued a diploma until your account is clear.
How to Change Your Intent
If you need to change your Intent to Graduate date, please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Change Intent to Graduate". Be sure to include the following information in your email:
- Full name
- UNH ID number or date of birth (to help verify your identity)
- Degree program
- Change requested